Oats Upma Recipe
Simran Oberoi Multani is a healthy baker and Founder of Ovenderful, a social enterprise and a global community in healthy baking.
This is a healthier way to make upma which is a staple breakfast.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 sprig (mid sized)curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp green chilly chopped
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1 tbsp cold pressed sunflower oil – 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp carrots, chopped and lightly steamed – 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp green peas – 1 tbsp
- ¼ cup onions – ¼ cup
- Add the oil into a pan.
- Add the onions and allow them to fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute.
- Add the green chilly and curry leaves. Allow it to cook well.
- Add the urad dal as well as the mustard seeds. Allow to become brown while sauteing.
- Add the vegetables.
- Add the oats and salt, and keep stirring.
- Put enough water to cover the oats well and cover it, to cook for 20 minutes.
- Open once done.
- Serve hot